Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Geoffrey

Geoffrey is my car.

I know what your thinking you named your car how absurd. well I don't care if its a little nutty or crazy or whatever you want to call it I just figure if guys could name their cars then why couldn't I??? So I did after a lot of thinking I came to the conclusion that Geoffrey was a good name. Reliable and cute it seemed to fit my car.

So I brought Geoffrey when I was 16 all keen on getting a car and my license as you are at that age. He wasn't perfect but nothing is for that price is!!!

So the proud owner of a 'new' Daihatsu Charade soon learned that it's NOT cheep owning a car and that along with a hefty price tag came a lot of responsibility.
  • Car insurance
  • Rego
  • and not to mention the learners test, lessons and of curse your P's etc.

the list goes on it's just so expensive to become independent these days.

Over the years Geoffrey and I have had many good times and some bad times.

Hes driven me to youth camps and on an amazing race to Aldinga. To the beach, the air port and city. For the occasional putter through the country side and back and forth to my cousins house in Seaford. All in all he has been a good car.

But then we have had our disagreements and lets face it he is getting a little old (for a car anyway). He's cracked his head, the water pump has gone, the clutch cable snapped, the radiator was blocked, the clutch needed replacing, and the wheel alignment was not aligned to say the least. As well as some injuries that I have inflicted myself such as cracking the diff housing (if that's the correct term), and a few minor bumps and bruises that occur form 'natural' wear and tear.

However the latest injury is by far the worst. And yes I know it might come as a shock to you but it was NOT my fault.

You see the other day I was driving to the shops to get this pair of Connies that I've just been dieing to get (another story for another time) and this guy pulls away from the curb, no indicator, no nothing. So I swerve to avoid this car Unsuccessfully I might add. And He plowed right into the side of Geoffrey, scraping from the back tyre right to the front the indent getting deeper down the side of my car. I was completely in shock and devastated at the crumpled sight of Geoffrey. It's all ok I was the only one in the car and I wasn't hurt; Geoffrey on the other hand...

Now I have to get quotes and go through the insurance jargon and all that stuff. And Geoffrey is still crumpled and their telling me that he might be considered a write-off. (Something about he will cost too much to fix). Don't they understand that I love Geoffrey I have an emotional attachment to him I don't wasn't him to become scrap metal. :(

1 comment:

LisaBaby said...

oh steph, i feel your pain! it's sad when you have to let your first car go - especially when you're not ready to like you're going through and i've been through.

it's sucks my love! there's plenty more cars in the dealership!

xo