Friday, January 23, 2009

Tour Down Under

Now I'm proud Aussie, so when my boss asked me if I wanted to work at the Tour Down Under I was stoked!!!

You see we have a pretzel van where we sell well...pretzels, oh and chips and drinks. We were asked if we wanted to have our van at the tour, and we said yes (why wouldn't we??)

The drive up there was fun... for most of it I had my music blasting and the windows rolled down...until I turned of the freeway then it was a max of 30K's the rest of the way there cyclists whizzing past you left right and center. (I was scared that they were going to hit me, they can ride quiet fast you know!)

Finally I got there and we were right on the main street of Angaston just a stones throw away from the road.

Flags, shirts, clapper and merchandise were everywhere and people line the streets, the atmosphere was ecstatic. The amateur riders came in dribs and drabs through out the day, it was great to see so much support.

Working in the gypsy van (as its more fondly know), was different and fun. The lunch rush came and so did the laughs... picture this.... 5 people and 1 converted caravan, doesn't equal a lot of room.

The lunch rush was through the professionals were on the horizon and the crowd was getting excited. There was this one guy (amateur rider) that seemed to be hanging around the van for no particular reason he had no interest in buying a pretzel, but he was interested in talking to me... :s
After he left, my boss was paying me out saying I got hit on by a cyclist, she thought it was hilarious, ha ha.
I on the other hand did not, the thought of sweat and Lycra does not appeal to me... it was a bit strange!

Anyways the professionals came down the home stretch to the end of stage 4... zip, zam, zoom, whoosh, whoop, whirl... they all past the finish line in the blink of an eye the prizes were given, they flowers were thrown and in a matter of minuets the crowd had cleared, the barricades were packed away and the town was some what deserted. It was time to pack up and head home.

I decided to take the scenic route home through Tanunda, unbeknown to me Tanunda had far more train tracks to cross then on the way up to Angaston and those who know me know I have Siderodromophobia - which is the fear of trains. So although my trip home was much more beautiful, it was also much scarier. (if that's a word).

Well I think that's about all I have to report about my day at the Tour Down Under, All in all it was a great day. I can't wait for next year.

No comments: